Along the eastern ridge of the island on bluffs overlooking Moreton Bay, to take full advantage of the sea breezes, was a line of buildings for warders and, prior to 1890, their families.
The first cottage (above) was originally the Chief Warder’s residence. It was built of island beachrock, rendered inside and out, with markings incised into the final layer of cement render to give the appearance of stone.
Next along the ridge was the warder’s recreation building (above), comprising a reading and billiards room which was ‘very substantial and airy’.
Further along the escarpment, beyond the single warders barracks buildings (above), were located several other cottages for married warders and, ending Warders’ Row, was the small wooden school-house or church for warders.